Mangosteen is called the “Queen of Fruits”, also known as the purple mangosteen, and its tree is called Garcinia magostana
It is one of the tropical fruits whose evergreen tree is characterized by its slow growth and superficial roots, as the tree reaches a length of 25 meters.
Mangosteen is a popular fruit in some Asian countries, especially Thailand.
And it is believed that this particular country is the original home of the mangosteen fruit.
From which mangosteen trees spread to other neighboring Asian countries, such as Vietnam, India and Singapore.
Description and Taste
The fruits of this fruit have a round shape about the size of a tangerine, with smooth skin, weighing between 75 to 150 grams.
And their peels are a dark color ranging from black to purple.
The inner flesh contains 4 to 8 soft white segments.
The inner flesh is white with a sweet taste, and a light aroma that is almost a mixture of strawberry and apricot flavors.
It is worth noting that some fruits contain seeds, others are devoid of seeds, and mangosteen is usually eaten fresh as a kind of dessert.
Some also liken it to the taste of lychee fruit. Mangosteen has a crisp pulp, which makes it easy to melt in the mouth like ice cream.
Mangosteens are available early summer through early winter.
The benefits of purple mangosteen fruit
The nutrients in mangosteen fruit
A rich source of antioxidants: antioxidants neutralize the harmful effect of free radicals.
Which contributes to reducing the risk of a group of chronic diseases.
Among the most important antioxidants present in mangosteen fruits are vitamin C, folate, and xanthones.
And it has been shown in many studies that the xanthones in mangosteen have an anti-inflammatory effect, cancer, aging, and diabetes,
But more research is still needed to confirm the role of mangosteen intake in reducing some diseases.
Scientific studies on the benefits of purple mangosteen fruit
- A study published in Acta cirurgica brasileira in 2014 indicated that mangosteen extract has an antagonistic effect on some types of bacteria. Such as Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli.
- A laboratory study conducted on mice, and published in the Journal of Biochemical and Molecular Toxicology in 2007. Indicated that the xanthones contained in mangosteen fruit contribute to maintaining heart health. As they may reduce tissue oxidation and improve the work of heart enzymes, which May reduce the risk of a heart attack (Myocardial infarction).
- A laboratory study conducted on mice, and published in Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine in 2014. Indicated that mangosteen preserves brain health, as eating it reduces brain cell death and reduces cognitive disturbances. Especially in people with disease Alzheimer’s also reduces inflammation, oxidative stress, and alleviates the inability to restore spatial memory in these patients.
- A review published in the International Journal of Molecular Sciences in 2008 indicated that mangosteen has properties that may reduce the risk of various types of cancer. Given that it contains xanthones. The review showed that these compounds contribute to reducing the activity of cancer cells. Especially in cases of colon cancer in humans, but it should be noted that the aforementioned study is still limited and its results are not sufficient to prove the effectiveness of mangosteen fruit in fighting cancer, and some studies have shown that eating mangosteen may negatively affect the effectiveness of some cancer treatments, so care should be taken.
- A laboratory study published in Virus Genes in 2014. Indicated that mangosteen peel extract contributes to reducing the risk of infection with the hepatitis C virus. In addition to inhibiting its spread. And this is due to the mangosteen fruit’s containment of xanthone compounds.
- A preliminary study published in the Journal of Medicinal Food in 2009. Indicated that consuming a mangosteen product that contains vitamins and minerals enhances the health of the immune system in the body. As a group of healthy people, between the ages of 40 to 60 years participated. A group of them were given a mangosteen supplement for 30 days, and the results showed a decrease in C-reactive protein levels and an increase in their T cells. In addition, the results indicated that the products Rich in antioxidants, it significantly improves the immune response, and improves overall ration.
- Some preliminary studies and experiments have shown that mangosteen contains nutrients and chemical compounds. And may help improve oral health. As it was found that the use of products containing mangosteen extract helped: Reducing bleeding gums, combating plaque buildup on teeth, reducing the number of bad bacteria present in saliva, and fighting bad breath.
- Fight against digestive disorders The pulp and peels of mangosteen fruit may help relieve digestive disorders. Some individual trials have shown the following: Using a mangosteen peel soak may help combat chronic diarrhea. Eating the dried fruit powder and peels may help combat dysentery
Using purple mangosteen in diet, and losing weight
Mangosteen fruit can help to lose weight.
In a laboratory study conducted on mice and published in the Journal of Medicinal Food in 2016.
It was shown that mangosteen fruit extract has a lowering effect on obesity.
As the group of mice that consumed mangosteen With a diet high in fat.
They did not suffer from weight gain compared to the mice that did not eat this fruit.
And the study showed that eating mangosteen contributed to reducing low-density lipoprotein LDL and improving the work of liver enzymes
A small study published in Nutrients in 2018 indicated that taking purple mangosteen extract contributes to improving insulin sensitivity in women who suffer from obesity, insulin resistance, or type 2 diabetes.
And the improvement was noticeable in insulin sensitivity without any side effects.
purple Mangosteen contains fiber that will keep you feeling full until the second meal.
This helps you not to overeat during the day, which leads to gradual weight loss.
This fruit does not contain many calories, and it also helps burn fats in the body.
This will help you maintain your body and not gain weight easily, provided you follow a healthy diet.
In order to benefit from all the nutrients present in mangosteen, you should take it as a juice before meals.
Which helps you feel full until the second meal without overeating throughout the day.
In addition, you can drink the juice of this fruit only in the morning and on an empty stomach, to speed up the digestive process.
You can add a tablespoon of honey to mangosteen juice instead of adding sugar. Honey is an ingredient that will help you burn fat as well.
On the other hand, you can take mangosteen in the form of a dietary supplement to lose weight, provided you consult your doctor about the required amount.