Limequats…Amazing benefits and uses
Limequats, botanically classified as Citrus x Floridana.
It is a small fruit that grows on a bushy tree that can reach over two meters height, belongs to the Rutaceae or citrus family.
If we want the fruit to change into a Lemonquat, then we should wait for it to ripen on the tree.
Limequats are native to Florida and were initially hybridized in 1909 by Walter T Swingle of the U.S Department of agriculture and in 1913 introduced to the market.
Today limequats can be found all over the world.
Limequat is a cross between Key lime and kumquat.
It mixes the flavor and aroma of Key lime with the cold hardiness and edible peel of Kumquat, and It was created in 1909.
Walter T Swingle pollinated Key lime flowers with kumquat pollen and then planted seeds from the resulting fruits.
Limequats are very small fruits in size, average 3-4 centimeters in diameter and its shapes are globular to oblong.
Have green skin, If the fruit ripens in the tree it acquires a yellowish color, at which point it is called lemonquat.
In this case, it would be a mixture of kumquat and lemon.
Underneath the skin, the flesh is soft, succulent, pale yellow-green, contains a few, edible seeds, and is divided into 7-8 sections by thin.
Also, it has a floral fragrance, and has a bitter, acidic and sweet, tart flavor, if we consumed a fresh one.
Limequats are available in the mid-fall through winter.
Limequats are a good source of vitamin C and folic acid, and we will show you some of the benefits of Limequats.
For heart and arterial health
Drinking Limequats juice helped fight cardiovascular disease, due to its richness in potassium.
Which is important for the health of the circulatory system.
Fight kidney stones
It contains citric acid which helps to prevent kidney stones from forming and crystallizing them.
Drinking its juice or even eat the fruits themselves help treat colds, flu, and any fever that may accompany them.
Especially since eating acid increases body perspiration, which leads to lowering body temperature and thus fighting a fever.
They mitigate the effects of anemia.
They help treat any infection that affects the respiratory system, as well as sore throats.
Yellow citrus fruits help treat various respiratory problems.
Including breathing difficulties and annoying asthma attacks, due to their richness in Vitamin C.
Which is important for the health of the immune and respiratory system.
Limequats are also an important natural remedy for sore throats due to its antibacterial properties.
It is as a Collagen production
Vitamin C produces collagen, which is the connective protein in the body and thus is essential for the health of connective tissues.
Such as the skin, bones, tendons, gums, and blood vessels.
Limequats are best suited for both eating it only without application and cooked applications, as well as can be consumed whole.
We can use it in cooked applications after removing its seeds because they impart a bitter flavor.
They can also be cooked into marmalades, jams, and jelly.
It is possible to use it as a substitute for lemons or key limes.
In sweet applications, limequats can be candied whole, cooked into syrups or glazes, dipped in caramel.
Or sliced and used as decoration around pies, cakes, and tarts.
The juice can also be used to infuse a unique citrus flavor to specialty cocktails.
And the fruits can be pickled or preserved to add a salty citrus flavor to fish and chicken dishes.
Limequats pair well with meats such as poultry, beef, and fish, avocado, berries, persimmons, lychee, vanilla, and chocolate.
The fruits will keep up to one month when stored whole in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
Using Limequats in diet, burning fat
There is no evidence that lemon water has a role in weight loss.
And the weight loss observed by some who follow this recipe may be a result of losing water weight in the body instead of fat.
but many believe that lemon water has a direct effect on their appetite, making them feel full.
A cup of Limequats juice without sugar contains only 6 calories.
It helps get rid of toxins in the body and helps regulate the temperature inside the body as well.
Which in turn helps reduce excess weight and burn fat.
It is also important for increasing metabolism.
Which is very beneficial for losing weight and burning extra calories in the body.
Some different studies in this context have shown that consuming lemon or water with lemon added to it promotes increased weight loss.
Regardless of practicing some type of sport or following a diet to burn body fat.
Natural applications for losing weight with Limequats
Drinking a cup of water with added limequat juice on an empty stomach helps reduce excess body fat.
Soaking limequat slices with a teaspoon of cumin in boiling water for a whole day.
And eating it in the morning half an hour before breakfast helps burn body fat.
Adding limequat to various soups, especially vegetable soups, helps to feel full, which reduces excess body weight.
Drinking limequat and ginger, one of the drinks that do not contain calories, helps you lose weight quickly.
It is possible to add drops of limequat juice to a cup of green tea, and it is one of the favourite drinks for burning fats.
In addition to detoxing the body and preventing many diseases.
Benefits of Limequats for athletes
- As another Lemon varieties, contains several organic acids, including ascorbic and citric acids, and it also contains some minerals such as phosphorous, iron, potassium, calcium, and a little manganese, which gives the body the mineral balance necessary to build various connective muscle tissues.
- It Promotes rapid muscle tissue growth thanks to the vitamin C present in abundance, which helps in wound healing, and supports muscle growth during exercises, so you get an acceptable muscle shape in a few days.
- It provides the body with energy and vitality, the smell of lemon or limequat is one of the most effective scents on the human brain, according to what researchers have recently approved, and it stimulates the brain to send various nerve impulses with high efficiency. In order to activate the rest of the body, and increase focus.
- Vitamin C also builds collagen fibers, which is the regulatory protein responsible for the growth of connective tissues such as muscles, ligaments, tendons, cartilage … And so on, it is the main factor in building and forming muscle, so it is necessary to obtain it from its various sources.
Amazing benefits for limequats
Research has shown that limequats have many medicinal benefits:
In the following, we will discuss the tremendous therapeutic benefits of these unique and special fruits:
Two tablespoons of limequats juice contain half the daily human needs of vitamin C; vitamin C, in turn, strengthens the immune system, protects the body from viruses and bacteria, accelerates wound healing, slows down the ageing process, cleanses toxins, participates in the synthesis of hormones and reduces stress. Limequats also invigorate, relieve fatigue and drowsiness, fight nausea, improve intestinal motility, rejuvenate, and restore the deficiency of vitamins and minerals in beriberi. It has a cosmetic whitening effect on the skin and soothes and regulates the sebaceous glands.
Limequats may help you reduce your risk of stroke.
- Cancer prevention
- Skin improvement
- Asthma prevention
- improve iron absorption
By adding them to honey, you can also benefit from these fruits with attractive benefits.
Benefits of limequats with honey
The limequats with honey have a beneficial effect on the immune system, improve the functioning of the cardiovascular system, strengthen bones, and stimulate the brain. The mixture fights “bad” cholesterol, cleanses the body, and increases efficiency.
The most valuable component of limequats is vitamin C, which not only strengthens the immune system but also protects cells from the harmful effects of the environment and fights premature ageing.
Uses of limequats:
People can use limequats for colds as medicine. Because of the presence of citrine, vitamin C is better absorbed by the body and helps detoxify.
For the prevention of diabetes, limequats will be very useful, as they significantly improve the body’s metabolism.
The aroma of limequats will help to relax and relieve stress and fatigue.
The limequats also contain a much higher amount of B vitamins. The colour of the fruit indicates that they also contain vitamin A, which is essential for good eyesight and skin health. Limequats also include a lot of pectins. This substance has a positive effect on the digestive system. The natural sugars found in limequats are helpful for brain activity, and at the same time, they do not contain high calories, so they are very suitable for diet.
The fruits of limequats help with diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, especially intestinal disorders and decreased appetite. With bronchitis, one glass of limequats juice daily helps cleanse the respiratory tract.
What do some pieces of limequats do to you?
Eating just a few slices of this fruit after dinner can burn nearly half the calories you receive during meals over your entire day. Therefore, nutritionists advise people prone to satiety to include limequats in their diet. This fruit contains vitamin C, vitamin B, and vitamin D. In addition, limequats strengthen the central nervous system, helping to restore lost strength.
Limequats’ principal value is their fresh, rich aroma and bitter taste. These qualities make it an essential ingredient in the kitchens of Mexico, Vietnam, Thailand, and Iran.
Limequats are very rich in vitamin C, iron, and calcium. These fruits contain antiseptic, antiviral, and antirheumatic properties. Limequats effectively relieve sore throat, stomach, and intestines and soothe and neutralize the effects of stress.
Benefits of limequats peel:
The limequats peel contains essential oils, dietary fibre, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, zinc, sodium, copper, selenium, vitamin C, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, and vitamins A and E due to its rich composition.
It contributes to heart health, improves bone health, and supports oral and digestive health.
The limequat peel helps eliminate colic, vomiting, flatulence, and indigestion, increases appetite and is effective for gum problems, and destroys harmful bacteria in the mouth and intestines.
How can we use limequats in our life?
You can benefit from the benefits of the beautiful limequats fruits through several uses that we will explain in the following:
- You can make seasoning from the peel of limequats. Grating it well is a great tasty addition to many dishes. Store this seasoning in the freezer.
- You can mix grated limequats with pepper to make a great-tasting spicy mixture—a spicy blend of black pepper, salt, garlic, onion, turmeric, and limequats.
- You can use limequats to protect other fruits, such as citrus fruits. That turn black quickly, like sliced bananas and apples. To avoid this and preserve the appearance and usefulness of this fruit for a long time, sprinkle it with limequats juice.
- You can also add it to olive oil. If you want to give your regular olive oil a nice light tart flavour, use the following tip. Peel the limequats and put them in a bowl of oil. Please leave it to brew for two weeks (shake the jar occasionally). After that, filter the oil through a strainer, pour it into a bottle, and use it for cooking.
- You can make sugar from limequats. Many people like tea with limequats. There’s a new recipe for them: Squeeze the limequats, put them in a plastic bowl, and have the beloved cigar you can use to make different cocktails.
- Limequats are an excellent cleanser and disinfectant because they are from the citrus family, and this family of fruits is very effective in cleaning. To prepare it, you will need limequats and vinegar.
Limequats should be applied, poured vinegar, closed with a lid, and left for two weeks. After 14 days, filter the resulting tincture, dilute it with water (50 to 50), and you can start cleaning.
- Additionally, it functions as a pesticide. Ants can’t stand the smell of citrus, so pour limequat juice on baseboards, window sills, and other hiding places to get rid of them.
- The limequats are also effective against cockroaches and fleas.
- You can use limequats as a deodorizer from a cutting board.
Onions, fish, garlic – these and other products’ smells are very acidic and absorbed into the cutting board for a long time, especially if they are wooden. You can eliminate unpleasant odours by rubbing the board with half a fruit of limequats.